Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Day 261: December 14, 2016 Duffy Robbins, My Former Youth Group Leader

December 14, 2016
Day 261

Yesterday, I had the distinct privilege of listening to my former youth director, Duffy Robbins, teach a class to his Youth Ministry students at Eastern University. He had asked me to come and share based on the fact that I am a former member of his first youth group in Barrington Rhode Island. In his email request, he stated that I had a contagious faith and he wanted them to meet me. Truly an honor.

He warned me that due to the time of the class, 8:30 am, they might be sleepy.
I knew what to do. Our buisness product wakes up. Go Twin Valley Coffee.

Preparing for this fifteen minute window was a time of reflection on the deposit made in my life through this man and his wife. It was what I needed to do this November and December, as I looked at old pictures and traveled down memory lane. I became more aware of God's goodness to me, Lynne Treichler Burkholder. While sitting in Duffy's class listening to his wise counsel, I marveled at his sustainable message that swirled around his ever constant focal point - the Gospel. I told the students, "This is the most consistent man I have ever met. He is saying to you the same thing he said to us in youth group." Duffy Robbins has swayed NOT once from what he believes to be the most God honest truth - Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

I met the Robbins at a unique time in my life. I had been involved in a robust catholic youth group in Geneva, NY. They were some of the best times of my life. John Engels challenged this young protestant "know it all" to think long and hard about the diversity of faith. Back then when the word contemplative was hardly spoken, John Engels, was leading us in spiritual disciplines and encouraging us to listen and be still. Moving to Barrington, Rhode Island, was going from diversity to preppy white kids with collars popped, not an easy transition. I needed the Robbins.


What an honor to have the guru who developed youth ministry into something respectable. And like anything worthy in the kingdom, it does remain somewhat of a hidden ministry pushing aside the need to be front 'n center. Duffy is witty, brilliant, and an astute biblical scholar. His high level oratory skills do not even come close to his content - top sirloin steak right off the summer grill.

Yesterday, as he spoke in his class of the underlying sense of undervalue youth ministry often suffers, I realize why I never devalue youth ministry. Duffy raised it to a level of respect. Duffy is the first writer of the Youth Ministry College textbook. Monday, I realized something and was thankful for the opportunity to reroute. I took this man of God for granted. Listening to Duffy was all I needed to again understand and affirm the solid deposit made in my life. He was still mesmerizing me, thirty-four years later, by his consistent message of Jesus Christ.


Duffy built on a foundation that Jesus Christ laid. If there was a burning, determining the value, Duffy's deposit would not light up in flames. There are many who have come and gone in my life and have been impacted by a man they never met. I had so much to share with this class but as I sat there listening to him, fully engaged in everything he had to say, I heard God say so much to me.

So Duffy Robbins from the south, thank you for allowing me to come and share in your class as a former youth group attender. I did love those Wednesday nights when you walked obscure Old Testament biblical characters into the Chamberlain's basement. This fostered a love for the Old Testament and a desire to remain a gold digger in God's word. Thank you for bringing me to the world of wonder, the hiking in the White Mountains, the camping along Sebago River, the traipsing through many acres of Adirondack wonderfulness. Thank you for pedaling the Gospel as if it was some kind of Willy Wonka candy -the wonder of it all. I am who I am in part because of the deposit you faithfully gave to me and others.

You came to your ministry fully you. Thank you for the authenticity. You came in full confidence of the gift God has given you and you created a team-like atmosphere among the volunteer church members. I believe my love for "team" has much to do with what you modeled. You allowed me to be a part of your family which lives great and wonderful in my family's life. You gave wise counsel, "Lynne, college is a key to your future." And you laughed and laughed and laughed and helped to affirm what I knew to be true - there is a heck of a lot of joy in the camp. Can I hear an Amen?! Thank you for introducing us to your friends, for bringing your life to our life while maintaining healthy boundaries. A man sold out for Jesus Christ knows how to do that well.

May you continue to bring glory and honor to the One who did a good job the day Duffy Robbins toe tapped his way confidently onto the planet! Thank you, Duffy. And that woman you married - ya done good. What a treasure she is and has been and will be to me, such a significant part of my discipling.







1 comment:

  1. Dear friend, Lynne,
    This is such a kind word of encouragement! Thanks so much! Your visit to my class communicated, as I knew it would, the joy and contagion of authentic faith, and the beauty of that faith lived out over TIME. But, I think it also reminded my students that God gives us the untold privilege of stepping on to the stage of much bigger dramas than we might have ever imagined if we'll make ourselves available to Him. When I walked into the life of that ninth grade girl so many years ago, it was very early in my ministry career. Now, all these years later, God has given me the chance to see how He can use our stuttered words to write epic stories. When I think of all the people impacted by you and Lynn, I can't help but thank God that we (me and sweet Maggie) had a chance to write a few chapters in that adventure. Thanks for your friendship, and for you consistent faith. And for the awesome combination of wisdom and creativity that we meet in your blogs and musings. From your ninth grade year until now, I remain a huge fan!!

    ReplyDelete