Saturday, December 31, 2016

Day 264: December 31, 2016 Swimming in Words


Ivanhoe -  Sir Walter Scott


December 31, 2016
Day 264


Swimming in Words 

The movement of words around words is writing. Placing them here and moving them there is the writer's work. Making you think, feel, hear, taste and smell is the writer's art. The thud of the hammer, the greasy smell of the fries, the bitter taste of the herbs and the river cutting through the hill, are examples of how words morph into senses. This is the writer's aspiration and what many authors do best.

To enjoy someone's word art is to pleasure read. To get lost in a sentence is to travel through well seasoned and aptly placed words. To move someone from one mood to another is the writer's most definite job.

Certain authors do certain things to, through, and for me. Madeline L'Engel pushes me to view the microscopic as invaluable, the secular as sacred, and the intangible cosmos as infinitely important. J.D. Salinger is a picture book. His words are as if you're watching a film. The reader sees everything in "Catcher in the Rye" and in "Franny and Zoey." Fyodor Dostoevsky (always hard time pronouncing) makes you identify (even if you don't want to) with every character; the good, the bad and the ugly. Someday I'll have the steel to make it to the end of "Crime and Punishment." But I haven't yet. I stop because I always feel as if I need to turn myself in to the local authorities. However, I savor his "Brother's Karamozov."

Leo Tolstoy bushwhacks the relational murky path of adultery in "Anna Karenina" and should be a must read for every married partner. E.B. White has me longing to establish relationships with animals and clearly took away any fear of arachnids. Roald Dahl entices, excites, pushes, and intrigues me with the books he poses as children's literature. C.S. Lewis entertains while inspiring my spiritual walk as the wardrobe speaks to me on many levels.

In the year 2017 I endeavor to continue to read, read, and read again. High School, college, babies, homeschooling, NOTHING, has impeded my need, desire, or ability to read. Nor will the new year pose as a rogue threat. I travel, I learn, I think clearly and differently and I grow with every book. Furthermore, I need and must be stretched for to read is to choose a trajectory of active, positive change. To swim in a well written sentence is as refreshing as cool water to a sun heated body.

No comments:

Post a Comment