Monday, September 7, 2015

Day 243 Brittany

Hopewell Lake in early morn
September 7, 2015
Day 243

The sun has yet to rise and we are in the middle of mist swirling upward from a warm lake. She is as peaceful as the water we glide on in this early morning hour. We sit around a fire the night before and she looks me in the eye and asks, "Tomorrow, are you kayaking?" Now I am, Brittany, if you will go with me.

To kayak with this woman is an honor (truth be told, anyone who will kayak with me-is an honor). But I have watched this lady grow from a scrawny, carefree, energetic, little girl who does not sleep at sleep overs, into a delightfully deep, insightful woman, whose internal clock is on rest mode. Easy is her middle name, her modus operandi. Honestly, to be with her, as friends on the water, is probably more than I would have had the guts to ask for.

I appreciate how drama does not surround her, it just sulks off looking for other victims cause this girl ain't freaking out. Her mentor is her mother, Pam Hopkins, who is the epitome of meekness - strength under control. Drama deflects off her back like water off a duck. Her daughters, all three of them, have learned from the best. To Pam's credit they adore and think she is the classiest woman they know.

Brittany in chill mode
There were many statements Brittany made this morning that I so appreciated. One of them being,"Christian community is so hard to find among Christians." True that. She understands others and situations with such emotional intelligence and this lends to our invigorating conversation.

I love the questions Brittany asks me this morning. And the laughter, she is quick to laugh and refuses to take herself seriously.  I love this in a person. God has given her an ability to see things for what they are and an ability to listen and hear what others are saying. I grow from her insight. She is a gift and I am privileged to know this woman.

2 comments:

  1. I love Britt too. You have captured some of the things I love most about her! - one of Britt'a college friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah! She is a gem and if you are her friend, you are a gem too. She wouldn't have it any other way. :)

    ReplyDelete