Sunday, September 18, 2016

Day 237: September 18, 2016 Conferences Shomferences

September 18, 2016
Day 237


Conferences Shomferences


Conferences maybe are for you but they are not for me. Sitting with the masses oohing and ahhing......arrggghhhh! Walls upon walls in my heartland barricade against even the thought of one. But when your friend tells you in the spring she bought you a ticket for a conference in the fall you know you have time to BACK OUT. Sure, I'd love to go......

Now, Dale, this friend, is a highly intelligent woman, yet her reading skills are challenged by her ADD tendencies and we are not talking math. Reading my emails? She flat out tells me she doesn't. Reading the finer points of an email? She doesn't do that either. She seems to love this about herself, even sees it as a strength. I'm the stupid one for sending them. Two names were all she needed to see before she gave her credit card information - Francis Chan and Jenni Allen. Done deal. Call Lynne and tell her she's going. But in reality she had no idea what she paid for.

The time came and my heartland walls were still in great condition. But now, post conference, like a fool, all I can talk about is THE CONFERENCE - the conference, the conference, the conference. You get near me with a ten foot pole, I don't even have to see you, I'll start shouting you details. What Dale did not read is that Collyde is geared for Leaders. How unfortunate. This conference is for the Body at large, you would have loved it! Thank you, thank you, thank you Dale - E - O! You da best.

Francis Chan, the author of Crazy Lovestayed on his knees quoting Isaiah 66:2 keenly desiring to tremble at God's word. He also desired to only say what he felt the Holy Spirit wanted him to say. I now must read his book, Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit, and check out his website Crazylove.org. He summed up the political scene accurately with a math quiz. Does 3 plus 3 equal five or does 3 plus 3 equal seven. You must choose one answer. Does he nail it or what?

Lysa TerKeurst, I was not looking forward to hearing. Why? I don't know, just wasn't. However, she did it, she whipped me around in milliseconds like a sucker. This woman is a blast. She loves the Word and that alone steals my heart. And she is hilarious. Arrgghhh! How am I able to prejudge someone before I have even heard them? Is it sick telepathy that communicates back threats - this woman is better than you, you don't want to know, you'll get jealous. The pathetic twisted discernment. So, I am definitely going to check out her website, Lysaterkeurst.com and also read her latest book about rejection,Uninvited.

However, I could not wait to hear Jennie Allen. This woman has caused a revolution in the Body and in our local church, RCC. In fact, we were front and center and if I didn't fear the big dudes in the crowd I would have climbed on stage to hug her. I don't worship her I adore her. She heard God say she was to disciple a nation and then she told everyone. Now if that is not bravery, courage, and confidence, what is? As result, many of us have heard the loud call of the Holy Spirit to use our voice. And here all along I thought I had been, NOT REALLY. Instead, I was allowing a patriarchal system dictate my responses. My voice was a whisper, not fitting for a King's daughter. But no mo'.

Richard Stearns who looks like he could bore you in minutes did not. As the leader of World Vision he believes the church is missing a distinct opportunity to offer love to the fifteen million refugees who are mainly comprised of elderly, women and children - these are the terrorists we fear. Listening to him made me want to take The Hole in Our Gospel off my shelf. He made me ponder the thought -  if I saw Jesus as the person in need I would definitely help. And (drum roll) Jesus is the person in need. It says so in Matthew 25:35-20.

I am not finished but my time is up. You are done reading, I can tell. I will relay to you the other three tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment