Saturday, May 9, 2015

Day 123 The Ferry

May 9, 2015
Day 123







There is a ferry that leaves every half hour 24 hours a day from Staten Island and Battery Park. The ride is free. The shared experience of the ride with hundreds of strangers exhilarates and intrigues me. As we waited for the ferry we began to congregate one by one. A group of musicians entertained us while we waited for the next ferry to take us to Battery Park. We swayed, we danced, we clapped and we gave tips while we waited, we even purchased their cheaply made CD's. Then the ferry came and we all went aboard.

I will never see any of these people again but we shared moments together that were only ours to share. We were going to NYC for different reasons but we were all arriving at the same exact time. Subway rides, museum visits, bus rides and elevator rides are shared human moments with people I will never see again. I enjoy them.


The men who work on the Ferry were kind and helpful. I wanted to ask them questions but they were busy and I cared more for my safety than their knowledge. Everyday they do this, sunny days, rainy days, windy days, and calm days. I imagine they know the forecast every day and dress accordingly. They would have learned, over the years, that their job can either be enjoyed or endured simply by their attire. They looked like they were enjoying it on Friday.




To see the Statue of Liberty was thrilling. Our eyes were joining millions of eyes who have viewed this lady over the past few centuries, many of whom were so thankful for her welcome.



The free ferry was one of the major highlights of the day. Shared experiences with strangers never cease to intrigue me. But, honestly, to experience it with Nicky Sue, Jesse, and Lynn was just plain fun. I will take this to my old age and will always remember the enchanted day in NYC with three wonderful people. I hope to do more of this again, soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment