Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Day 141 Some Thoughts For Geoff

May 27, 2015
Day 141

 The prompt: When I think of Geoff

Some of the Responses - 

Me, His Momma:
I think of a little boy hoping out of the car before I could catch him only to realize he was always heading for the person in charge. I think of a little boy, all of six years old leaving me in Good’s store only to find out he was doing a price check. I think of a little guy who loved snuggling. And he still does, my wittle bubber!  I think of his name meaning “heavenly peace” and him living up to that name. I think of a little boy always escaping out of his preschool class at the Learning Group. I think of a little boy with his little friends, Sam and Robert. I think of the six year old asking his momma to an action packed film and that being the beginning of our movie relationship. I think of the movies he has chosen and loving everyone (except the one the other night). I think of French Creek and the walks we would take. I think of the deep thoughts you have always had. I think of your intense honesty and you telling me more than most kids your age would tell their mother. I think of the junior high trip you begged me to chaperone and then you wanting to be with me despite how uncool it might look. I think of the trips we will take and hopefully to Europe, I have dreamed about these trips. I think about your kindness in the face of rejection and your ability to work through that. I think of the very stupid mistakes you have made and am grateful God has navigated you through them. I think of the massive fall you took and we ended up in the trauma unit. And God was oh so merciful to you. I think of how cautious you are. I think of how killing an animal just doesn’t seem right. I think of the restraint you offer in the face of your older brother begging for a fight. I think of the woman you will someday marry and the family you will raise and I am so grateful that this woman will be getting such a fine man! You have been saved for the best! I think of people you have reached out to when others turn their backs on them. I think of your relationship to God and am grateful that you know and hear Jesus and have wrestled with your faith being your faith. You are so funny, so insightful, so loving and so kind. I love you!   High alert Geoffrey...


Kathryn:
I think of a mystery. He is lovable, we know that. He is motivated by his inspirations, those close to him know that. He confides only in those who care, only a certain few know that. But he was a boy who’s grown into a man that from day one has continuously shocked us.
He’s a mystery that unfolds as days go by and what new directions he grows and learns in he takes deep thought about and uses it to better his character.

He loves Jesus - evident and inspiring. He loves me - lucky sister.
I’ll tip my hat to this guy any day! Love you bro.

Christopher:
I think of love for a family. I never knew someone could feel so strongly at such a young age. I remember watching him express his love for us and I remember thinking how incredible it was. Weirdly strong, he was hulk hogan from the get go, there were no limitations for him. Dancer, he loved to dance as a child and would put on shows for us regularly as he made up dances on the spot that were surprisingly expressive. Always himself and unashamed about it. Geoffrey has no barrier when it comes to the people he is willing to talk to. He believes in what he does and he pursues his goals with fierce ambition.

He is a dreamer, a thinker and an idea man, he is not intimidated by people. He is gentle and kind, he doesn't like to hurt people even though he could
Break anyone in half. I know because he restrains me from fighting with him at which point I realize I am powerless. He is a wise man and deals with issues that most people would normally decide are better left alone. There is no one that can make me laugh as hard as he can. I think of our late night impromptu sessions, I can hardly make it through them because he is too funny for me. He desires truth and does not settle for less. He is the first brother I had and I look up to him in ways he cannot understand, I feel like the younger brother sometimes. He is most importantly a follower of Jesus and he wrestles with what that really means, and lovingly shares his process with us so we can learn together.

Robyn:
I think….so cute!
I think….my baby.
Geoffrey is broad and strong and tough and  handsome, but when I think of him I think precious and kind and silly and thoughtful.

He is an amazing brother and even more amazing man and friend. As his sister I have been grateful for his existence, very literally, since before he was born.

I’m so proud of his accomplishments and can’t wait to see what is next for him (as long as it doesn’t take him too far away from me).

Kathryn (Katie Burkholder Schwartz):
When I think about Geoff, I am immediately reminded of how much life we
have to offer one another. I think of the countless moments of hysterical
laughter that are brought about by Geoffrey's astounding ability to
sacrifice the promotion of self. Yet, he is never one to depreciate
himself. He is confident in who Christ has created him to be and lives out
this calling to the fullest; all the while recognizing how much growth has
yet to occur. The depth of humility that Geoff has is rare to find in young
men of his age. He has the capability to go from being doubled over in
laughter to speaking biblical wisdom and truth in nanoseconds.
All of this is driven by irresistible charm. When I think of Geoff, I think
of his uncanny ability to have everyone wrapped around his finger...the
best part about this, is that everyone is ok with it.

It is practically impossible to be mad and stay mad at Geoff.
His heart is big and oh so good. All it takes is a smirk and a wink from him
and all wrongs are forgotten. That is, until he walks out of the room and you suddenly realize
that he hoodwinked you with his charm. Even in those moments, laughter
quickly ensues because you cannot help but love him. To be Geoff's friend
(or in my experience, to have the honor of being considered a sister) is
the richest title to carry. You will never doubt his wealth of love for the
people around him. If you haven't had the opportunity to truly know Geoff,
please do so with gusto. He is one in a million.

Nicky Sue:
I think of late night movies and impromptu parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment