Sunday, May 31, 2015

Day 145 I Can't Imagine

May 31, 2015
Day 145


Saturday, Twin Valley Coffee was at A Taste of Weavers where all the vendors gave out samples. Life exudes from this place.The place was packed. What a blast serving samples and hanging out with Weaver employees.

Ed thanked us for being there. I thanked him for running Weaver's Orchard. As soon as I thanked him I had this horrible thought. What if Ed Weaver would decide to close Weaver's Orchard?  What if? Seriously, if I cannot go into B'B's without a pitiful and sad nostalgia due to the loss of Martins, can you imagine how desperate it would be for me to drive by a deserted Weaver's Orchard on Weaver Road? Traumatic! This place has offered me and our family such life that I cannot even let that apocalyptic thought sink in. ( so I'm dramatic-shoot me)

Wait, you have not been there? What?!! Get in your car and take a ride down Route 10, turn on Weaver Road and you will be transported. In a picturesque field you can pick whatever fruit is in season. You have the chance of talking with the owner. You can let your children play, see farm animals, and get an ice cream cone to boot. You can purchase unique products from local vendors or from unique vendors out of state. We love the working bee hive they have on display.

This was our first Twin Valley Coffee wholesale market. They gave us a chance and put us on the map. Some complain of Weaver's prices. I don't. I know too much. I know what it is to run a small business. Besides which, have you seen how many folks Weaver's Orchard employes? You never hear anyone complain of the setting, the customer service, the wonderful opportunity to pick your own fruit? This comes at a cost.

Weaver's Orchard is not only full of good produce and quality plants it is stock full of amazing employees. They are wonderful, kind, and helpful. You know this is a trickle down effect. The ones at the top make this a priority. Dwayne Musser would be one of those at the top that make working at the orchard a good experience. Dwayne is Ed's better business half. Dwayne, no relation to Ed, though they look like brothers, has offered so much to this place, more than many of us will ever know.
   
One day I shamefully admitted to Dwayne that I purchased apples elsewhere due to the price. Woah, Baby. The knife came swinging out of Dwayne's back pocket. Had I angered the gentle man? Nope, he just wanted to cut up apples for me to taste. From that day forward my buying habits changed. A, second hand, bushel of apples is a weekly staple at our home. We begin with honey crisp in the fall and right about now we are eating Fuji.  Sorry, B'B's, but this snack doesn't kill more birds with one stone it gives more life than one bag of cheap potato chips!

But thankfully, Weaver's is no where near closing, are you kidding?! They produce their own collective energy! They keep thinking, creating, and producing! For instance they just opened up a cafe which is run by Ed's youngest, Kimberly. You probably should stop by. Weaver's Orchard stays open based on customers. Go be one of them.



2 comments: