Friday, April 3, 2015

Day 88 Tom

April 4, 2015
Day 88

Oh what a privilege to know Tom.  Tuesday he came through my kitchen door and we hugged and hugged. Every time I am with Tom there is true fellowship. The last time I saw him was at his wife's funeral. Then, we spoke of deep and abiding things. This wednesday we continued over oatmeal. Tom knows of the Father's love and he knows of life without Him. Tom's gratitude for being rescued from the life of darkness ministers to the very depth of my soul. I am privileged to know this man and I do not take my relationship with him for granted. Besides which, I adore and love his son RJ, my first son in law.

Tom does not boast of or in any material possessions. Tom boasts in the Lord. These words sum up conversations with Tom, "It is all Jesus." He knows of addiction, he understands the place that a rehab has in an addict's life. However, what he really pushes is the power of Jesus that has the ability to pull an addict out of a life of addiction. Tom would never refer to his own power or ability when speaking of God's transforming power, he only gives the glory to God.

Tom and his wife Iva lived through some very dark days. Their transformation into the kingdom of light was striking. God established their family and to hear Tom speak of the Lord's transforming power leads me into the throne room. Our God is an awesome God.

Tom's family loves him, he is awed by this. He knows there is much he has done in the past that should cause his children to disown him. But instead his family is a living example of God's redemptive power. They love and have forgiven their dad. I have never seen a family like Tom's display the Body of Christ as they always rally around when one is in need.

My son in law at his rehearsal dinner hosted by his dear sister blessed me beyond measure when he said to his parents, "Thank you mom and dad for showing me God's restorative and redemptive power."  We were not in a fancy restaurant, there were no designer clothes on any bodies, the lighting was inadequate as it was night and the backyard was small. But we were in the midst of the King of Kings. And it was then and there I knew my daughter was in a blessed family. My little grandson, Theo, is one lucky little guy to have Tom as his grandfather.  God is good.

Breakfast with Tom was my morning devotional.










3 comments: