Thursday, October 1, 2015

Day 267 Envelope Addendum

October 1, 2015
Day 267

Katie Schwartz photography
The "Envelope" image that I began to flesh out, on Day 258,  came on a starry night on a blanket with Katie Schwartz in my backyard. We were pondering significance, something that is often not felt within the context of the church. Many times there is a lack of encouragement, a lifting up and affirming of one another's uniqueness. Too often we do not feel like we fit in. We do not feel like our gifts are being used or even wanted.



The lack of encouragement, to one another, stems from a place of insecurity. When I am unable to affirm you it is because I am not feeling confident. This becomes a viscous cycle and it continues with hamster, wheel-like, fluidity. It robs the church of diversity as we slink off
without going into our envelope, as our uniqueness is not requested. As in nature, however, diversity keeps a congregation healthy.

We are unique. Children think about growing up and becoming famous, almost as if it is a guarantee. But they know better to speak of such things, it is the epitome of arrogance. While Katie and I were pondering this, a thought bolted out of heaven and plopped in my heart. THIS IS NOT A MAN MADE THOUGHT, BEING FAMOUS, THIS IS AN GOD-GIVEN, INHERENT THOUGHT STEMMING FROM OUR UNIQUENESS. Huh?

When you think of someone famous, you know it is because they are significant. Something has made them stand out. Therefore we can conclude, a child thinks they will be famous because God created them to be a one of a kind, unique, significant person. I stand out, you stand out. You and I are significant. We are not meant to "fit in." Banish the thought. The enemy, who loves to shame, starts early working this inherent thought into a twisted mess of lies.

Why does the enemy start so early? Because, you plus using your gifts equals change for the positive. And the enemy wants negativity not positivity.

Your creator stands at your envelope waiting. Watch out family, community, world. Do it!




5 comments:

  1. my processing of this ....

    The God Who See’s

    Little girl all dressed in satin and bows,
    Twirling begging for them to see.
    Smiling bright, "Look at me, look at me".

    Young woman dressed to go out on the town,
    Attracting attention, eyes demanding,
    Desiring love and understanding.

    Grown woman well put together
    Working hard, filling with external pride
    But really wanting to be known for what is on the inside.

    The God who sees,
    Discerning Jesus expressed in her
    Looking at the woman she'll be,
    Uniquely, messy, funny, loved, simply as she.
    He looks and knows, values and understands,
    The expression of His son in her is as planned.
    No need to dance or prance before others,
    No need to envy or be jealous of another.
    You are filled with the perfect blend of my
    love and joy,
    I am the God who sees... El Roi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale - when we were talking tonight, I had not seen this. This is so amazing! So fitting.

      Delete
  2. Lynne, I love your fierce joy in this image! I also love the gleam in Geoff's eyes. So much love, so much joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is just something about this picture that I love too!! But, hey! I need a kathleen visit!!!

      Delete