Monday, November 9, 2015

Day 306 Come to Me Like a Child

November 9, 2015
Day 306
Caleb Stevenson, wife and child, along with various other

She sits and plays games on her IPAD. In the Fellowship Hall. Alone.

Me: Want to come into church?
Her: No, too many people.
Her: And, I hate those benches, they make me fall asleep. 
Me: O.k. 
Thoughts: Not sure how hard wood makes you sleepy, but ok.

She is a teenager reeking of cynicism. Life has not come easy
for this precious one. She pushes away so that you won't have to.

Jesse: Mom, are you in children's church?
Me: Yeah.
Her: Children's Church? Are you in Children's Church?
Thoughts: Do I hear an echo?
Me: Yes.
Her: Can I come?
Thoughts: Heck, hadn't thought about this option! Brilliant!
Me: Of course.
Her: Great!

We sing scripture songs. It is by grace you have been saved and not by your works. It is by God so that you have nothing to boast about - something from Ephesians. Damaris is leading a game the curriculum suggested. These are scary. The last time we had injuries. Sin is trying to catch people. This is not going to be pretty. 

There is another young man who helps in children's church. This is the only time I see him. I have never seen him in the service. He and she and I are commenting, discussing, but also asking questions. Interactive church, I love it.

Him: Sin catches all.
Me: So does grace.
Him: Jesus should be in the game.
Me: Just wait and see. It will tie together.

We read scriptures.

Damaris: Can someone read this verse?

She has been asking the children to read different verses. Each time she asks the young woman's hand is high in the air.

Thoughts: Damaris, please ask her. Please.

God continues to reveal to me as I sit next to her. She has missed a significant portion of child life. I'm drawn to mother her. To hug her. To rub her back. To play with her hair, like I would my daughters. 

Damaris: Will you read?
Thoughts: Thank you, Damaris! I love your love.
She: Yes! 

She reads and I am in awe. 

Thoughts: God, I love your ways. The enemy's ways are easy to predict, not yours! Ever! You are constant in your love and willing to change how you show. 

Her: Can I come next week? I love this.
Me: Yes, of course you can.
Him: This was good. I like this.

6 comments:

  1. mind blowing............that's it! Damaris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait..so if you are forgiven little you love little. When you love a lot does it get messier and the need for forgiveness is greater and forgiven big means you love big??? Luke 7:47

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aahh..He sees us as his little and when we are forgiven we are able to love little??? She was the least at least to the teachers of the law but in jesus eyes she loved much.

    ReplyDelete