Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Day 41: February 10, 2016 Lent On!

February 10, 2016
Day 41  Lent On!

My first day of observing Lent and it is taking an odd twist. This should not surprise me. There is a pulling away, a breaking out of religion in my life and it keeps happening on many unique and different levels. Watching my friends over the years follow this Christian observance has always left me with more questions than answers. I figured it was because I am dull witted. I am, but I am realizing why the slow head shake.

"Remember you are dust and to dust you return." At first glance, this Ash Wednesday phrase pulls me into the Sistine chapel with iconic beauty, my heart's eyes are upward facing, but they quickly return to a dust like focus-on me. And there is a hush, in my heart. And it feels good. But it's edging close to a God like sense as I sail past godliness pushing past the headwinds.  For I'm inching my way over the pew to a place of honor. Watch me do Lent. Watch me be dust. Watch me contemplate. Of course, in a most humble way.

God always reveals this tendency in me. He whispers loudly, "Hey, Lynne, where's this reflection on your dustyness going to lead? Uh, huh! Exactly, young lady. Why don't you do some reflecting on My imminence, My son's rise above dust, His power, His might." Oh, ok. And another one bites the dust. *

This phrase, "remember you are dust and to dust you return" really lacks encouragement. It kinda misses the all eyes on Jesus thrust. To dust I return? Really thought there was more to life than that. I have been told that this relationship with Jesus pulls me and you into a spiritual realm that soars beyond and above our physical bodies. And post death, c'mon, it is more than dust. It really is.

There is more than dust coming our way, and you want to know why I know? Jesus! His body did not see decay. He died, but no dust was found in the empty tomb. Nada! In fact years before this man was born it was written - "But the one whom God raised from the dead did not see decay!" Acts 13:37 PHEW! And then in Romans 8:21, I am included as well as creation, surviving past climate change; "that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God!" BAM! This is some kind of hope.

I do not have to wear sackcloth nor ashes today. But I do need to wear Jesus. This should be seen and felt like you would my clothing; joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. When you wear these virtues you live victory over decay, victory over flagellation, victory over the urge to be God -like, victory over self-help ways, victory over selfishness, and most importantly, victory over ME. This soars beyond a symbol, you need to spend time with me to witness my relationship with Jesus - and it is exactly to relationships we are called.

These Lent reflections are headed in an entirely different direction than anticipated. Once again. Jesus loves turning me around. It is what He does best. Eyes off dust, eyes on Him, the Creator of all things!  Oh, how I love Jesus!

"Then the maidens will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow." Jeremiah 31:13

Lent On! Brothers and Sisters! Lent On!



* "Another One Bites the Dust" was used in a study to train medical professionals to provide the correct number of chest compressions per minute while performing CPR. The bass line has close to 110 beats per minute, and 100–120 chest compressions per minute are recommended by the British Heart Foundation,[21] and endorsed by the Resuscitation Council (UK).[22]

Addendum -
these are my personal reflections. this is how God is leading me. i love that the way He leads us differently. it keeps us ballet-like. our focus is not on our ways. our focus is Him. my reflections are for me. God is dealing with me on many levels. i am not making wide sweeping statements in regards to the universal way lent is practiced. this is how God is speaking to me, today. i honor the way he leads you. i really do. He encourages me to honor you.



3 comments:

  1. Did you just do a disclaimer? :).
    And yes wearing Jesus....he us so very personal in how he instructs us and leads us deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, this is no disclaimer. The definition found somewhere on the internet is : the act of disclaiming; the renouncing, repudiating, or denying of a claim; disavowal. 2. a person who disclaims. 3. a statement, document, or assertion that ..

    I am not dis claiming my views. In fact I am doing the opposite. These are my views and I am not trying to make them your views. If anything I am trying to honor other's claims. ;) Love you. :) I can see your tongue....

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok so I was going to share what I wrote last year re; lent but do have my tongue sticking out....

    http://dalecupo.blogspot.com/2015/02/what-is-lent-and-is-this-something-i.html

    ReplyDelete