Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Day 47: February 16, 2016 Stumbling Block

February 16, 2016
Day 47 Stumbling Block

I am standing beside Jesus. I am being accused of something awful. I did do it. Jesus looks the accuser straight in the face. Before I can get a word out He says, "I did it." I am mortified, He did not. I am embarrassed, "No, you didn't. I did." He continues to look the accuser straight in the face. "She did not."

The accuser, with an intense judgmental and sneering tone, looks past Jesus, straight at me, "How are you going to take care of this?!" I open my mouth, Jesus interrupts. "I already took care of it!" "But, Jesus, you didn't do it. I did it. I can..."

"No, you can't, you don't know how. I have it covered, washed away. Done!"

I am speechless, humbled, embarrassed, and uncomfortable.

This is the gospel. It makes me feel lame and it makes me feel like a jerk. We stumble over this for Jesus is the stumbling block. We want to own it and we want to make up for it.

Jesus says I'm owning it (there is way too much of your junk to own) and I am taking care of it (to gain an audience with the Father? C'mon, you will never know how to take care of your sin for that!).

My pride is pricked! Am I going to respond with more pride? Or am I going to respond with gratitude? Am I missing something? Because when I think about the price He paid for our salvation, penance seems pathetically puny and preposterously puerile. (look it up!)

I am enjoying this Lenten season for sure. Lift Jesus higher! Turn your eyes upon Jesus! My heart is full of thank yous to the One and Only One who could do what needed to be DONE!

1 comment: