Friday, February 12, 2016

Day 43: February 12, 2016 Lent Impressions

February 12, 2016
Day 43 Lent Impressions

Honestly, the way Jesus handles himself is really uncomfortable. And I know I am not the only who thinks so. His disciples were weirded out many times too. And I have always felt bad for John the Baptist. Jesus' baptism had a definite plot twist and it caught John off guard.

John had just finished a major discourse relaying how there is no way he could ever baptize the lamb of God, no way. He goes on and on about why he is so unworthy. This Jesus is something else, no one is even worthy to untie his sandals. I can hear John's self-congratulating thoughts, "well that sums it up, I think the crowd understands now how awesome this Jesus is!"

Then who shows up? Jesus, the very lamb of God. Why? Well, He was looking for some baptism and He wanted John to do it. Awkward.

I have always thought the crowd wondered, "John! You show off! You liar! Way to set yourself up buddy! Unworthy, aye?" You better believe there were cynics in the crowd. "Oh yeah! Not worthy to untie his sandals but able to dunk Him down?" This John, he speaks out of both sides of his mouth, I'm sure they thought.

Here is where I wonder - Jesus, what are you doing? Don't you want people to respect you? Honestly, you are the taker away of the sins. Can you not at least try to demand respect? You are kinda a big deal. All you seem to be concerned about is fulfilling this and fulfilling that and totally unconcerned about the wrong impressions you are giving. John just set you up as the ONE, the ONE in charge! Why would you have him baptize you?  This doesn't look good.

However, the gist of the gospel is- it's not about how impressed we are with Jesus, but what He's done for us. He simply does not work with impressions but rather truth.  And the truth is this, you and I are sinners and He is the savior. He came to free us from our sins, period. And He only did what He saw the Father do, even if it looked funky. He was all about obedience and cared more for us than for impressions. And likewise He freed us from the need to impress.

When it all comes down to the bitter end, we only stand before one. All else fades and the zoom lens focuses clearly on me and Him. The only thing I am going to want to hear from Jesus is, Lynne, I know you! At this point I will not care
how impressed you are with me. And that's the truth!


No comments:

Post a Comment