Monday, February 29, 2016

Day 60: February 29, 2016 Orlanda and Josie

February 29, 2016
Day 60  Orlando and Josie

For Orlando, it is not coming easy - this living. A number of months ago this physical trainer by trade, a tall, beautiful black man, was the epitome of health. So fit, so strong, so tall. But now he looks so small lying on a hospital bed working hard at every breath.

I met Orlando and his partner Josie at church with their daughter Leah. He was not finished, with church that is. For him it ended too early, there were more testimonies to be had (there had been none), and he definitely wanted more singing. I am sure he is use to a vibrant black church where moaning, in agreement, does not cause one to whip their head around in curiosity. He probably loves rousing worship times where swaying is replaced by moving around, maybe even jumping up and down. Our church definitely loves Jesus, we, however, are NOT the audience a famous rock band would desire at their concert. So I invited Josie and Orlando, along with their little Leah, to fellowship over lunch.

We sat around the table and heard their "in progress" story. God works from the inside out and God is doing just that in their lives. Orlando has had the hand of God on him since seventeen when he knew, and everyone else around him knew, he was CALLED. But he paid no attention to that call in a reverent sort of way. Instead, he ran full speed ahead issuing amazing, anointed sermons, puffed up on encouragement, and forgetting to give someone else the glory. There are more things other than pot that can make one high.

Josie, yesterday, upon seeing me walk into the hospital room, smiled from ear to ear. "Lynne" she spoke softly with such welcome. "Lynne, God is all over this man." She walked over to his side, held his hand and spoke with such confidence. "Lynne, God is going to heal him."

Orlando's emphasis years ago was on Orlando and it was lethal. He started living for drugs. The story gets a little foggy for me. However, all I know is that he ended up selling drugs - smart guy with a wrong focus. Long story abbreviated, blamed on memory loss, Orlando's feet are now postured toward God especially in the hospital bed. That Sunday, a while ago over lunch, he spoke of the work on the cross that has been done for him. He clearly spoke of Rest. He said that he is in a waiting period. Yesterday, Josie relayed to me that in one of Orlando's coherent moments she asked if God is speaking to him. He nodded and told her that God is saying to him, "Rest and be patient." He added, "And you, Josie, need to calm down."

Isn't that the truth. "And you need to calm down." Wow! This is stellar, most excellent advice. "And you need to calm down." Yesterday, Josie oozed calmness, as did Orlando's three sisters in the room. The storm is raging but in this boat, while Orlando sleeps, it is still! "And you need to calm down!" Man, do I love that. Orlando preaches from a comatose state. Out of his weakness, God is glorified and shown to be the strong tower!

Orlando never woke up to say hello, he is declining fast. Though I have known him briefly, I missed his smile. It is infectious and memorable. But God is affirming his need for rest. It looks kinda like a forced rest to me, but God will have His way.

All I could think when Josie said he is going to be healed is, whoa God, you've got some work with this one! You better get at it. He's at death's door. But, Josie, I'm all in! I believe in the God who tells a fig tree to wither. I believe in the God who gives fertility to the geriatric community. I believe in the God who brings water to the desert, who makes a roadway in the wilderness. I believe.

I also believe God has the ultimate say. There is another dear friend who believed.  There is now a Run 2 Remember 5K/1 Mile Walk for her husband.  My friend would prefer her husband over this run any day. God's purpose prevailed.

I asked Josie if we could pray. Yes, but she wanted to get some of his sisters. He comes from a family of nine who reside in Queens. God is working mightily in this family, this is the first any have been sick. The sisters and myself, we had church, bustling, thriving soul sister church. Oh, the moaning. My God you are too good to me! We spoke of not wasting time in mindless banter but giving God the glory. His one sister spoke of how God is directing them to have faith in the Almighty and not in the circumstances of Orlando's health status. Wow! They are not wasting time. In a nondescript room in St. Joseph's hospital, we prayed and were teleported to God's throne room.

In this post I was going to ask you to pray for Orlando's healing and that his momma would come in the room. But he died. After hearing the news I had to delete some of what I was originally writing in this post.  So, now I would ask that you pray for Orlando's mom who is not doing so well. She simply could not bring herself to go in the room to see him, she simply prayed. As a mom I can completely understand. Would you please pray that God will flood her with peace!  Pray also that Josie and Orlando's family will continue in the faith!

Josie's text this morning:
"Yes my baby is RESTORED!!!! His sisters got to see the glory of God descend upon him, because he glowed, not anything like what he was looking like yesterday, it was amazing, God had breathed life into him for us."




No comments:

Post a Comment