Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Day 131: May 10, 2016 Days to Remember


May 10, 2016     Days to Remember
Day 131

Years ago, God instilled in my heart a shift in perspective in regards to Mother's Day. It no longer was a day of expectation, those are killers, but rather a day in which I determined in my heart to be fully the Mother of the Burkholder children. It became the day my thoughts were, what was I going to prepare, plan and execute, and not what were they going to prepare, plan and execute. The shift released the vice grip and the day became enchanted, truly. The possibilities were endless and their willingness to "go there" was in the palm of my little hand for it was Mother's Day! They were going to do what ever their momma wanted. Thank you national holiday planners! Boo-yah!

Hopewell Furnace is in our backyard. What a treat and delight to have this enchanted village nestled in the expanse of the Hopewell Woods, a large tract of forest land. This place soon found itself titled a national site as it is more than a quaint village, it holds a significant spot in our American history. Go do some research on that for my point has nothing to do with briefing you but rather setting the stage for my day on Sunday. Every Mother's Day at Hopewell Furnace they shear their sheep and we go and watch.

Watching sheep shorn on Mother's Day is our gig. We howl, we coo at the baby lambs, we giggle at the sight, we feel the wool and we wander. As a collective Burkholder amoeba, we are not the type to haunt every building on site, read every word on every placard, and speak with every renactor. We deal with times and places like these in a drive through sort of way. We get in and we get out.

My grandson, Theo, was a bit concerned with the process, he needed some 'splaining. This is not abusive, this is helpful. Sadie Lynne was intrigued because everything is interesting to this little four month old. Her head must turn and twist, she must find the source of the sound, for she is on high alert.



We came in time to see Brownie- their biggest ram, shorn. We have always enjoyed watching the hair cut on this belligerent one! It is really a good show, true entertainment. One year it got "real". The sheep shearer got angry and Brownie got schooled. This ram is so stupid. Something good is being done to him and he wants no part of it. Hmmm...I am seeing some simi....nay...Let's move on.



Expectations are killers and this shift in perspective truly slayed that Mother Day dragon. Now, it is in my control. I like it that way and so far so good. We all enjoy ourselves at this gorgeous place in Pennsylvania and I offer my family myself, their mother, on Mother's Day.

1 comment: