Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Day 219: August 17, 2016 Walking the Road With This Woman

Lt. to Rt. Pam, Dale, Terri
August 17, 2016
Day 219

Walking the Road With This Woman


My dear friend, Pam Hopkins, has taught me much. She is an extra mile sort of gal. She is distinguished, elegant, and classy but down to earth more than any other woman I know. She does not even know how to make you feel uncomfortable or unaccepted. She throws open her arms, smoothers you with "how are you honey, and can I get you some coffee or tea." She has taught me how to love with more thoroughness, more understanding, and more insight. She just doesn't come alongside, she gets in the middle of suffering. And if you spend any amount of time with her, your conversations will have more to do with suffering, trauma, and abuse than the color of her kitchen cabinets, or her latest shopping adventure- and this girl knows how to shop.

Pam has taught me so much about the hard stuff. I don't want to think about these things but hanging around with her is having your head yanked out of the sand. She has taught me that silence is destructive especially when it shushes men and women treated as "small. " I have learned more about using one's "voice" with Pam, the most non chatty individual, than anyone else I know. This woman is not an attention seeker but in pursuit of righteousness, and uh, just a bit of warning, do not mess with her. For the sake of the brokenhearted she just might be "in your face." She will overthrow tables right along with Jesus in the temple square.


Pam and I found ourselves at a Trauma conference, thanks to Michelle Altringer for alerting us about this conference, and my dear friend, Dale Cupo, who shared her ticket with me. We listened to Pam's hero, Diane Langberg speak of trauma and of suffering. Our souls were filled with the good stuff in life, with accounts that had more to do with Isaiah 58, one of Pam's favorite passages.

Wonderful Women
Diane Langberg is a blessing to the Body at large and Pam's friendship with her will be used for God's kingdom, just you wait and see. Diane brings anything she writes on abuse to the heart of the cross. More churches than not need her books in their libraries. Walking with Pam has revolutionized my presuppositions, my archaic views of abuse, and introduced me to amazing authors who are followers of Jesus: Jeff Crippen, Leslie Vernick, and Diane Langberg (to name a few). I honestly can not keep up with the reading material Pam suggests.

Pam and I, also, found ourselves last winter meeting with a local counselor in the area, Jill Waters. I love organizing big events but never did I see myself helping to organize one on abuse. It became evident, however, after our initial meeting that we were kindred in our desire to bring a voice to this silenced topic. The women, from the community, that attended the conference made me want to weep. The sessions were filled with more information than less and it was overwhelming to hear the hearts of the speakers and the attendees.

Pam has offered more than food around her kitchen table, she helps Jesus serve rest as she opens her home weekly to prayer. Women from different walks of life vulnerably share around her table as they walk together. All of us present remind ourselves of the need to love and to love well, to offer forgiveness and to repent. We do not shy away from tough issues, we share openly.  As we journey together alone we are learning that to be misunderstood is par for the course, it is simply a result of this walk. Pam knows this all too well.  So where does she turn? She runs to her Savior who has expressed Himself to her more sweeter than ever.

Pam has allowed me to fellowship with her in the way of suffering. She has led me to dark places while showing me the glimmers of hope. She has offered warm hospitality to us weary souls while not forsaking her husband, children and grandchildren. Pam has turned my eyes to the true fast recorded in Isaiah 58. I walk with eyes wide open because Pam has shown me that knowing Jesus on an intimate level is gently walking the hard walk with those in need.

May the God of grace and mercy protect her and her dear family as she continues to endeavor to know Jesus more intimately.  The Body of Christ is a more loving place with people like Pam who love large and well. Thank you, Pam Hopkins.



Addendum:
My son's original "New Day" expresses my sentiments expressed in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment