Sunday, August 28, 2016

Day 226: August 28, 2016 Age Old Institution


August 28, 2016
Day 226

Age Old Institution


We have been to more weddings than barbecues this summer. And weddings are hard for me. The hope, the joy, the romance, the kissing, the looks, all of these should pull me in to wonder but instead they scare the crap out of me. For I know it takes years for the "feelings" to root in a deep understanding of the commitment made on the wedding day. So, I am the one in the crowd grimacing, wincing, fidgeting, screaming in prayer -"Lord, help them to honor one another. Lord, give them perseverance! LORD!!!"


Though I am blessed with a man who honors, respects and is entirely beyond kind to me, I am also blessed with a human. We live in a fallen world with boomerangs flying out of nowhere and it makes even good marriages difficult.

The day Lynn and I said "I Do and I Will" was another day of another couple continuing in one of the oldest institutions on this planet. Not only is it ancient, but the marriage institution is one of the most productive unions on the face of the planet. For this union (when between a man and a woman) is designed to produce more scientists, innovators, musicians, artists, diplomats, presidents, kings, queens, etc. And it is also designed to establish a community of committed individuals. This Saturday was a privilege to be part of Brendan and Rebecca Burke's wedding ceremony. They too are entering the age old institution. They became a new family.

May they understand the purpose of their commitment. May they look to their Savior for fulfillment. May they honor one another. May they desire to see each other grow in their gifts and do what it takes to help the other fulfill them. May they learn to bless one another. May they grow deep in their relationship with Jesus. May they take their vows seriously enough to not harm one another with words or actions. May they instead build each other up to be more of who they were created to be.

Blessings Brendan and Becca, blessings!



1 comment: