Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Day 224: August 23, 2016 Time Well Spent - As A Mom



The amount of praying I did on this vacation watching the children on the knee board, wake board, and tube...Diane too!
















August 23, 2016
Day 224

Time Well Spent - As A Mom


What is a mother's main job? To feed her family, to clothe them, to house them, to keep them safe? I assert that a mother's main job is to pray for her husband and her children. All the other jobs are so vital, so important, so necessary but it is prayer that is of the utmost importance, sailing past the others far and beyond. For prayer is where you fly into the throne room of grace and you either petition with fervency or thank Him with a deep appreciation.  But it is where the action, the energy, the potential is and will forever remain. It is the place I find myself, in His throne room.

No one sees you praying, you might even seem lazy or uncaring, but you are doing the work that is vitally important and equally significant. The only one who needs to know what you are doing is God and God alone, so I never worried about others' views. The amount of time I have spent praying while sitting with a child, lying with a sick child, waiting at a stop light, sitting in a doctor's or dentist's office, watching them on the playground adds up to thousands of hours.

When one of mine was sick I would hold them and pray even if it was all night. "God, would you heal this child ? God, what do you want me to do? Am I to take this one to the doctor, please tell me. God, heal this child." For the child out late I have stayed up and prayed. For the child acting in rebellious ways I have prayed. For the child who was or is lonely I have prayed. For the child learning to walk and climb up the stairs, I prayed. For the teenager learning to drive, I was yelling (I got to be honest).

The greatest service I can offer my children is to pray for them. And likewise the greatest gift I can offer my grandchildren is to pray for them as well. I bless their little hands, their feet, their head, their heart, to hear others, to love others, and to respect others, just like I did with their momma. Prayer is vital and necessary and was never overlooked in my mothering. For prayer is an admission of need, of weakness, of lack, it is a calling out to someone else and asking them to lead, to guide, to help, and to assist. It is an admission of need. And no one knows more of my intense need than me! Mothering forces my knees to the ground.

But my most fervent prayer was, "Lord, please let them hear YOU!" This has been my constant prayer from the day each of them were born. If they can hear from God, through His Word, through dreams, through others, through me and my husband, that is where they find direction. And I ask them now and again, "Are you hearing from God?" My mothering boils down to one very vital activity, prayer.

2 comments:

  1. Your reflection has blessed me. Thank you for sharing your mother's heart.

    ReplyDelete