Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Day 12: January 12, 2016 - Wildlife at Hopewell Lake


January 12, 2016
Day 12  Wildlife at Hopewell Lake


Look for the "V" wake


Beavers, they are remarkable. I have been lucky enough to see them in the early morning hours while at French Creek this summer. Their blunt head, slightly above the surface of the water, moves at a smooth, calming pace. To me, these moments soar above any zoo experience. This is nature in full view, with kayak seating, better than drugs.

The beavers think otherwise and they let me know, "girl, keep your distance, we be working!" I have watched them slice through the water in the evening with a "v" wake widening behind them. They continue to communicate to me. "We are not digging your presence, human kayaker! You might want to pull out and go home to your humble human home." But I don't  because I know they will leave me alone and I know I will eventually leave them alone.

This summer while kayaking, one of my friends was bumped underneath her boat. I must admit we were flirting with beaver territory and we were close to trespassing. They have begun to set up a lodge at one of the islands and frankly, we were too close. Again, "ladies, we have a lodge here, can you please give us some respect?!" Though these creatures are shy they are good at keeping boundaries by communicating clearly with a slap of their very broad tails.

The bite mark - Beavers?

Beavers love soft plant foods. I noticed large chunks of lily pads teethed into. No mistaking who was chunking these. If soft food is available like lily pads and cattails, the beavers will cut down less trees. And they kinda chop a lot! On average per year, it is around 300 trees! They usually cut down trees about 200 feet from the water's edge. They are no dummies. What makes me laugh, it shouldn't, is that there is nothing instinctual to help them know which way the tree is going to fell. Therefore many trees fall right on them.

During the Fall, the children from Wider, a naturalist educator, and myself walked through some trails around Hopewell Lake. For some time I had not been back that way and to my surprise the small stream that I had kayaked up about ten years ago was now a big pond as a result of the beavers' dam work. The dam was impressive, twigs, branches, all piled up with enough strength to localize the water. You could hear the water rushing through the pile of sticks. It was extraordinary work! And all for what? Well, only the beavers know.

1 comment: