Saturday, March 21, 2015

Day 75 Time Travel

March 21, 2015
Day 75

My memories convince me of time traveling. The smells, the colors, the mood and sometimes the feel provide another run through. These are classic memories, old movie favorites. And out of the many memories there is one where the feel is right there.

My father behind a wheel was one of those controlled drivers who pushed the envelope as far as he could but with a level of caution that made it fun. Unlike my uncle who made me spitting mad as he took our lives to a level of uncertainty with his led foot. Oh, I hated driving with him. As a little girl I questioned his level of driving maturity. But driving with dad was fun, a mixture of thrill and trust. We, therefore, knew every place on a strip of a road that offered a micro-rollercoaster experience. We anticipated these like waiting in line for a thrill ride.

My brother and I were always in the back, free roaming, anticipating the drop in our stomach as Dad would gun it and pull out at the crest of a hill in the road. He always timed it perfectly. Dad loved this kind of stuff and gave no thought about the impressions it was leaving on impressionable minds. Suzanne would just scream, "BOB!"

However, this time my brother and I are wondering if Dad has somehow lost his way. This was not the first nor the last time we would wonder this. But back to that day, Doug and I know it is coming, Mom knows it is coming and Dad is running through the details. He is timing the thrill. However, none of us anticipate this one.

The need for acceleration is applied, Bob is in control. Doug and I  anticipate the stomach drop and my mom has begun her car scream, "BOB!" My Dad guns it and I mean guns it. The drop over the crest is postponed, Dad's acceleration is a little out of control.We are off roading, the wheels are air born!

Doug and I are scared, nervous, and loving every single minute of this carplane experience! All four wheels are off the ground and in those split seconds we all know what this means; Doug, Lynne, Suzanne and Bob are flying. Our stomachs are not tickled but kicked with the thud of the car crashing down on the pavement. Our eyes need to be repositioned and our jaws re-aligned. Doug and I are incredulously delighted as the memory is indelibly fixed in our minds with the thud. Time travel pulls the moment to the center and I relive the thrill.


2 comments:

  1. My dad used to do the same thing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine thudding down on some of the potholes on some of these roads?

      Delete