Monday, March 23, 2015

Day 77 Play Week- "The Importance of Being Earnest"

March 23, 2015
Day 77

Play week is one of my favorite times of the year. Our homeschool community has performed dramas for over twelve years. My oldest to our fifth has been on the same stage in the local Middle School Auditorium. They have all been big fish in a small pond and all five of them have benefitted from this amazing opportunity. The director of the three oldest mentored the woman who directs my three youngest today. She is an alumni. This blesses me more than I can express. I love relational activities and doing drama has it all going on. It really fills my cup as well to watch our daughter, Kathryn, working on the sets. Pinch me.

My youngest Jesse begged me last year for him to do lights. "Jesse, there will be time."
His response caught me off guard, "No there won't."
"Jesse, of course there will be" I responded back.
"Mom! You're fifty-two!" He articulated clearer than I appreciated.
"Hmmm.....you might have something there buddy..." I weakly replied.

This year, Geoff, our senior, will be one of the main characters in "The Importance of Being Ernest." This is his gift! I love watching my children on stage, they have my utmost respect. As outgoing as I am, I am shy when it comes to acting. What gives with me? Who knows! I'm complicatedly simple. But Geoff is a natural and I am never disappointed.

Nicky is part of the stage crew along with some of her wonderful eighth grade friends. This is too much. I love these kids and tonight I encouraged them to make executive decisions as we were cleaning up the music department's mess on stage.  "Mrs. Burkholder, where does this go?"
My response, "Make an executive decision and stick with it!"  They did.

Friday night will be magic! These eight high schoolers will come out on stage and make us believe they are someone different. The crew will move on and off stage creating scenes. The audience will provide the energy necessary for the actors' electricity.

If you have nothing going on Friday at 7pm, come to the Twin Valley Middle School auditorium and enjoy, "The Importance of Being Ernest." Or you can come at 2 pm or 7 pm on Saturday. Either one, you will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment