Sunday, March 22, 2015

Day 76 The Beautiful Ship

March 22, 2015
Day 76

Church life can be a real mess. You and I both feel it, experience it and know it. We have watched friends, sick of the mess, jump ship from the entire boat. And because of the ridiculousness they have experienced, we do not blame them. Even we sometimes feel that slogging through the messy drama in church is better left for a couch, bon bons, and a good soap opera. But not really. Why then do you and I stay on deck? Ah, we love the Captian, and we love the Ship, the Body of Christ. He rescued a jerk like us and we owe our life to Him.

The Beautiful Body of Christ keeps me slogging and sloshing through church life. Interestingly enough, the very points of frustration that happen in the church are the tools with which have sharpened my siblings and I in the Body. It is important for me to remember that church life consists of all sorts of folks, some believers and some not. But the Body of Christ consists of believers only, who are clearly aware of the grace offered to them while understanding what jerks we were, what jerks we are, and what jerks we will still be. We know that if God saved us, He can save you!

Today as I sat in church amongst folks from different walks of life, personalities, and races I was reminded of our common ground; Jesus Christ. Lord knows, it certainly has nothing to do with anything else, we are all so different. In that moment I heard Jesus saying to me, "Remember, Lynne, you are loving me when you decide to love your siblings in the Body." That does help.

There is nothing creative about the conflict that happens in church life. In fact I marvel at the redesigning of the same ole, same ole. We put each other's faces in the mix blurring the true issues at stake. We nit pick. We point fingers laterally. And, in love, we judge and shove, at least we say it is in love. P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C!  Have you noticed who often fans the flames of discord? Yes, it is disappointing but not surprising.

How could I forget that Jesus made it possible for me to be patient and kind? I am now free to enjoy life without being envious of you. I am free to listen to you and feel no need to boast about me. I do not need to puff myself up in your presence. And if I am rude to you it indicates my forgetfulness that being rude is so old school. I do not need to be irritable with you or resentful. This is not a denial of my feelings, this is a privileged choice. I am now allowed to be moved by Him to a position of love rather than pulled and tugged by my feelings. Instead of fear, shame or sick intrigue I now am thrilled, delighted, and invigorated by the truth.

Yeah, church life stinks. But the Body, oh the Body! It is beautiful. Jesus' love allows me to bear all things, believe all things, hope all things and endure all things. Jesus is wonderful, encouraging, inspiring and enriching and He keeps drawing me and the others closer through the conflicts. He shows us how to let Him. Who knew?!

He knew.




1 comment:

  1. That is it...it is beautiful but I sometimes forget, so caught up in me. Looking to Jesus is the reminder needed .

    ReplyDelete