Saturday, August 8, 2015

Day 214 Shut Up

August 8, 2015
Day 214



Unsolicited advice is so frustrating to listen to but really fluid to give! I have so much to say, so many experiences to share with you. Can I ask, why you are not receptive? Why do you seem like you all of a sudden have something better to do?

Why do I put more energy into thinking about what my response is going to be, rather than what is really truly going on in your heart? What prompts me to feel the need to lend you direction rather than ask God what direction He has for you?

I love that Jesus always asked people how they wanted him to pray. We, fools, rush in! And there is no hurry. The other night I was listening to someone and there was no room for interjection. There were things I thought should be said but God kept holding me back.

"Have you been asked to share, Lynne?" God gently asked me.

"No, why? Do I honestly need to be asked? God, you know what I have to say is soooo good! I can't be selfish with my stuff!"

I was given an opportunity to try out my new way, my new modus operandi - "wait till asked." And I almost made it to the finish line. I wasn't offering any advice because no one was asking for my choice morsels. And then it overtook me. I had to say something. I thought I would be tricky and talk about my experience and how it related to their experience, yadayadyada. I was better than Ex Lax, a true smooth move!

I have a long way to go to be like Jesus and  Bonhoeffer says it well. "It is better to talk        
to God about a brother than to a brother about God!" I I could just shut up and start talking to the One who moves mountains.



3 comments:

  1. Haha... so....relating.....sometimes I feel like my tongue gets me into trouble. I always say to myself Lord next time I'll stay shut...ugh but that not always the case.. help us be more like you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damaris!!! to tame the tongue..................thanks for relating to me sister!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete