Saturday, August 22, 2015

Day 227 Robotics - WHAT???

August 22, 2015
Day 227

VideoRay underwater robot. All the Students from Wider were able to test drive this snazzy little camera!

What do I know about Robotics? Quite a bit and not so much. I have always been interested and extremely curious about them. My friend, Janet, and I traveled to Philadelphia to watch a robotics competition years ago. I remember more of getting lost on roads going nowhere under the highway than the competition itself. But there was something that made me want to go. Her son is now a rocket scientist and my son a musician. You can see who benefited from that trip. My advice to many students over the last ten years has always been, "If you want to make money, get into robotics!" But what every student hears out of my mouth is, "At least know how to dismantle a robot." My knowledge level is about to rise in this area. I discovered a competition and Wider School is entering it.

On Monday evening we spent over an hour listening to Dr. Stephen Felbauer, from Penn State Dubois Campus, explain this competition. Though the audio was challenging in the studio, it was enough to excite and inspire many of us to say, "YES!" So, in a couple of weeks we will "take plywood and a box filled with items such as PVC pipe, screws and other hardware, an irrigation valve cover, piano wire, aluminum paint grid, a bicycle inner tube, a BRAIN (BEST Robotics Advanced Instruction Node programmable platform), and something called a micro-energy chain system and try, within six weeks, to design and build a functioning machine that can perform certain, specific tasks in three minutes."

Interestingly enough, three weeks ago I typed an email asking Dr. Feldbauer if he had ordered our kit. This whole prospect was scaring me into a corner of insecurity. I was thinking of pulling out. His reply was typical of what I am learning about him, direct answers to my questions but filled with kindness and encouragement. "No, I have not ordered your kit; however, I would really encourage you to participate. This program is really a great experience for the students and it is quite addicting.  I have actually had parents tell me that they enjoy the competitions more than any sporting event. Keep in mind, you do not a large team to compete, five to ten students is more than enough. Let me know your thoughts and concerns. I am willing to help in any way." Well, so, ok.

We are doing it. These students will learn "to analyze and solve problems utilizing the Engineering Design Process, which helps them develop technological literacy skills. It is these skills that industry seeks in its workforce." And to think my insecurity almost kept these students from being involved in a competition that has the potential to really broaden their horizons.

This young lady's focus is scary focused! Really hoping she can be a part of this competition.





5 comments: