Monday, August 10, 2015

Day 216 Another Go: "A Thousand Gifts"

August 10, 2015


Ann VosKamp's book "A Thousand Gifts" is one I have yet to read from cover to cover. She uses lots of words loosely putting her big toe over the edge of acceptable and dabbling in the deep end of prose. I have attempted to read this book but have had a hard time wading through all the words, so many words. However, to not like this book just seems wrong, especially when the theme can be wrapped up into one word: Gratitude! But then again, I am a jerk. A Big one.

Something in me decided yesterday to give this book another try. And I am pulled in immediately. It is apparent that my initial dislike of the book had nothing to do with the book but everything to do with an inability to hear the message.

This piece has been roaming around in my mind and Ann just wrote it out for me, seemingly:
"If I am ruthlessly honest, I may have said yes to God, yes to Christianity, but really I have lived the no."

Ann, forgive me! And thank you for your kindness.    

No comments:

Post a Comment